If you are looking for a government job in the field of accounting or taxation, you might be interested in the roles of CBDT Tax Assistant and UPSSSC Lekhpal. Both these roles are offered by different departments under the state and central governments, and have different eligibility criteria, selection process, salary, and job profile. In this article, we will compare these two roles and help you decide which one suits you better.
What is CBDT Tax Assistant?
CBDT stands for Central Board of Direct Taxes, which is a statutory body under the Ministry of Finance that deals with the administration of direct tax laws in India. A Tax Assistant in CBDT is a Group C post that is responsible for doing the assessment work of the income tax of individuals, partnership firms, companies, etc. A CBDT Tax Assistant is also expected to do clerical work like diary and dispatch, noting, drafting, and other similar duties. Sometimes, a CBDT Tax Assistant is also sent with the raid team to assist in the investigation of tax evasion cases.
What is UPSSSC Lekhpal?
UPSSSC stands for Uttar Pradesh Subordinate Services Selection Commission, which is a state-level body that conducts recruitment exams for various posts in the state government departments. A Lekhpal or Rajasva Lekhpal is a revenue officer who works under the Revenue Department of Uttar Pradesh. A Lekhpal is responsible for maintaining the land records, collecting land revenue, conducting surveys, verifying mutations, etc. A Lekhpal also acts as a liaison between the villagers and the government officials.
How to Apply for CBDT Tax Assistant and UPSSSC Lekhpal?
To apply for CBDT Tax Assistant, you need to appear for the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) exam conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC). The CGL exam consists of four tiers: Tier I (preliminary), Tier II (mains), Tier III (descriptive), and Tier IV (skill test). You need to clear all the tiers and get your documents verified to be eligible for the post of CBDT Tax Assistant. The minimum educational qualification required for CGL exam is a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. The age limit for CBDT Tax Assistant is 18 to 27 years.
To apply for UPSSSC Lekhpal, you need to appear for the Preliminary Eligibility Test (PET) and the Revenue Accountant Main Exam conducted by UPSSSC. The PET is a common screening test for various posts offered by UPSSSC. The PET consists of 100 objective questions from General Hindi, Maths, General Knowledge, and Rural Society and Development. You need to qualify the PET to be eligible for the main exam. The main exam consists of 100 objective questions from the same subjects as PET. The minimum educational qualification required for UPSSSC Lekhpal is intermediate or 12th pass from a recognized board. The age limit for UPSSSC Lekhpal is 18 to 40 years.
What is the Salary and Job Profile of CBDT Tax Assistant and UPSSSC Lekhpal?
The salary of CBDT Tax Assistant is Rs. 5200/- to Rs. 20,200/- with grade pay of Rs. 2400/-. The salary of UPSSSC Lekhpal is Rs. 5200/- to Rs. 20,200/- with grade pay of Rs. 2000/-. Both these posts are eligible for various allowances and benefits as per the government norms.
The job profile of CBDT Tax Assistant involves:
- Scrutinizing various income tax returns and calculating the tax liability of taxpayers
- Feeding the data into the computer system and generating reports
- Assisting in the preparation of notices, orders, statements, etc.
- Handling correspondence and queries related to income tax matters
- Participating in raids and surveys conducted by the income tax department
- Performing clerical duties like diary and dispatch, noting, drafting, etc.
The job profile of UPSSSC Lekhpal involves:
- Maintaining the land records and maps of villages
- Collecting land revenue and other dues from landowners
- Conducting surveys and measurements of land parcels
- Verifying mutations and transfers of land ownership
- Preparing reports and registers related to land revenue matters
- Acting as a mediator between villagers and government officials
How to Choose Between CBDT Tax Assistant and UPSSSC Lekhpal?
Choosing between CBDT Tax Assistant and UPSSSC Lekhpal depends on your personal preference, interest, qualification, preparation level, career growth prospects, etc. Here are some factors that you can consider while making your decision:
- If you have a bachelor’s degree and are interested in working with the central government, you can opt for CBDT Tax Assistant. If you have an intermediate degree and are interested in working with the state government, you can opt for UPSSSC Lekhpal.
- If you are good at maths and have a strong command over income tax laws and rules, you can opt for CBDT Tax Assistant. If you are good at general knowledge and have a basic understanding of land revenue laws and rules, you can opt for UPSSSC Lekhpal.
- If you are willing to face a tough competition and clear multiple stages of exam, you can opt for CBDT Tax Assistant. If you are looking for a relatively easier exam with fewer stages, you can opt for UPSSSC Lekhpal.
- If you are looking for a higher salary and more allowances, you can opt for CBDT Tax Assistant. If you are looking for a lower salary but more job security, you can opt for UPSSSC Lekhpal.
- If you are ready to work in any part of the country and deal with different types of taxpayers, you can opt for CBDT Tax Assistant. If you prefer to work in your home state and deal with rural people, you can opt for UPSSSC Lekhpal.
CBDT Tax Assistant and UPSSSC Lekhpal are both respectable and rewarding government jobs that offer a stable career and a decent income. However, they also have different eligibility criteria, selection process, salary, and job profile. Therefore, you need to weigh the pros and cons of each role and choose the one that suits your interest, qualification, preparation level, career growth prospects, etc. You can also refer to the official websites of SSC and UPSSSC for more details about these roles.